Monday, January 25, 2010

A Journal, and Hopefully More...

This is the first in what will hopefully be a regular thing for me. I've considered doing this for a while, and even took a stab at it back in 2008. What has me going this time is the need to keep a journal for the Planning Studio class I'm taking this semester. While I'll be keeping a hand-written journal as part of the class requirement, I'm hoping to use this space as a way to supplement that endeavor, and to think through the things I'm learning about urban planning, sustainable development, and the relationships between land use, transportation, and the 3 "E's" of sustainability: environment, economics, and equity. We'll see what happens from here!

Oh, why the name "Seeking Ecopolis"? Well, let's start with the word "ecopolis". I picked up the term from Australian architect Paul Downton of Ecopolis Architects in Adelaide. It's essentially a term that is synonymous with the phrases "sustainable city" or "eco-city". The term just struck me, and has stuck with me for quite a while as a succinct way of talking about the need to find a way to live sustainably in a warming, urban world.

I'm sure I'll explore this term in more detail as I go forward with this blog. For now, thank you for joining me on the journey. For now, off to study!

No comments:

Post a Comment